The two most widely used kitchen countertop materials are granite and solid surface countertops. Each comes with certain benefits, maintenance and aesthetic role to play.
- Granite countertops are 100% natural stone unearthed from the earth. Stones like Feldspar, quartz, mica are various forms of granite.
- It is heat and scratch resistant. Minor scratches can be fixed easily.
- Granites are porous in nature and may require periodic sealing to avoid staining. Daily maintenance includes washing with a pH cleanser and wiping spills immediately.
- Granite countertops may require seams and comes with several edge profiles that can be expensive.
- Since every piece unearthed has a different color and pattern, no two slabs can look the same, thus giving a unique design to your kitchen. This granite can be polished.
- Granite comes in different price range.
- It does not come with a warranty unless provided by the installer.
- Solid Surface Countertop
- Solid Surface Countertops are man-made, a blend of acrylic or polyester plastic is stuck together with colorants. When heated, the resin turns liquid and the counter can be fashioned into any desired shape.
- Since it is nonporous, it does not need any sealing and can be washed with any cleanser.
- It is seamless, therefore, countertops can be installed properly, leaving no crevices for bacteria to breed. Unlike granite, this material is FDA approved for food preparation.
- It comes in uniform color and pattern. If you do not like a variation or solid color, solid surface countertops can lend a simple look.
- Scraps from cutouts can be joined together for a backsplash or another countertop. It is more economical than granite once the edge profile and cutouts are done.
- It is not radioactive, unlike some natural stones and does not have asbestos.
- Hot pans can melt, break or surface can get discolored.
- It is prone to deep scratches, dirt and moisture can easily settle down. Scratches can be easily sanded. A damage or an entire section can be cut out or replaced easily. If you are planning to sell your house, the top can be re polished to look new.
- Prices can vary based on colors, which can be expensive than granite countertops.
- It comes with a warranty.
Contact a granite countertop contractor to help you decide between granite and solid surface countertops.